Depending on the time of year and type of grass you have, OtO's stream may be more heavy and powerful than you're used to. Flattening of the grass should not kill it, however it can be annoying.
📓 Note: Certain factors make grass easier to flatten:
- Time of year. Grass is more likely to be flattened in the fall season as grass goes dormant.
- Type. Soft, cool-season grasses (like Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, fescue, etc.) are more likely to be flattened than hardier warm-season grasses (Bermuda, centipede, zoysia, etc.).
- Length. Long grass lengths are more likely to lie down after watering.
Here are some tips to manage OtO's heavy stream
If you are working on a reseeding or overseeding project and OtO's stream is pushing the seeds:
- Spread the seeds evenly over the lawn area using a seed spreader or by hand. It's best to apply half the seed in one direction and the other half in a perpendicular direction to ensure even coverage.
- Cover the seeds with a healthy layer of topsoil or compost (approximately 1/4 inch or 0.6 cm) to protect them from birds and to retain moisture.
- Optional: spread a thin layer of straw on top of newly seeded areas - this helps retain the moisture in and prevents the seeds from being blown away.
- Water the newly seeded lawn gently but thoroughly immediately after seeding. Keep the soil consistently moist, but avoid overwatering. Depending on how dry your area is, you may want to hand water the first time.
- Keep the area moist with regular, light watering. Set the zone's Weekly Watering Limit to Eco (1/2 in)
- Set the zone schedule to DAILY.
- Create a second zone on top of the first zone. Ensure you set it so the watering limit is "Eco" and that it is watering every day at a different time. Ideally one zone waters in the morning, and one zone waters in the early evening.
- Rake the straw away once the grass shoots have been established.
Pushed down grass
Usually grass that is pushed down will spring back up. However, if your grass is being pushed down and not readily springing back up:
- Try using a lighter watering limit such as "Eco" or "Conserve"
- A quick rake should bring the grass back upright
- Try keeping your grass a little bit shorter
Vegetable or flower garden
If you are trying to water a garden and the stream is too harsh, try Furrow irrigation:
- Reduce soil spray and retain more soil moisture by using mulch or coco mats in your garden bed
- Dig a ~3in trench beside the plants
- Set OtO to water in a line along the trench. This will target the water to fill the trench, keeping the soil moist right at the roots of the plant where they need it most
Here's an example video of OtO watering a garden bed: