OtO's "max reach" appears in the app during zone setup when the device cannot throw any further. Here's how to understand what that means, and what you can do to reach further.
Your Max Reach is the maximum distance OtO can water at, based on your water pressure. The app will notify you when you are setting up a zone.
How far does OtO reach?
OtO does not have a pump inside, therefore it's max reach is highly dependent on your home's water pressure. However, it is not the only factor on your device's reach. There are several other influences to keep in mind:
- Municipal water supply, how many homes are sharing the same supply as well as your distance from the supply
- Your home's elevation
- Your home's plumbing system including pipe size and material and pressure regulators
- The accessories leading to OtO including the hose and any splitters, backflow valves or connectors
As a result, measuring your home's water pressure is a good baseline to guesstimate how far OtO will reach, but it doesn't tell us the full story.
Instead, you can use the table and graph below to estimate how far your OtO will reach with a given water pressure (measured at hose-end). Note that you are most likely to get a maximum reach somewhere near the average for a given water pressure.
The average household in the USA and Canada has between 40 and 80 PSI.
If the water pressure is too low, it can lead to poor performance of plumbing fixtures, like weak showers and slow-filling toilets. On the other hand, if the pressure is too high (i.e. greater than 80 PSI), it can stress the plumbing system and potentially lead to failures and leaks.
How can I measure my water pressure?
How will I know if I've reached my maximum distance?
When you are setting up a new zone, you may want to start by figuring out what your max distance is so you know if your device is in a good place.
- In Zone Setup Mode, aim the nozzle towards the farthest point of your zone.
- Press and hold the "up" arrow ( )until the water stops moving. When you are no longer able to get any further, you have reached your maximum distance based on your water pressure. You will get a notification in the app when this distance is reached.
My "max distance" is less than 30 feet.