If you're in a region where temperatures drop below 41°F (5°C) in the winter months, you must store the OtO device indoors to prevent it from freezing and being damaged.
In order to preserve the battery, you should put OtO in Winter Mode by following the directions below.
NOTE: The OtO Lawn App will alert you to put OtO in winter mode if the weather is expected to drop below 32°F (0°C) within the next 7 days.
Once the temperature dips below freezing (32°F) for 4 consecutive hours or more, stop watering your lawn and put OtO away to protect it's battery.
These steps could also be used any time you want to put OtO away for a long period of time.
How to Safely Put Away OtO for Winter
Step 1 - Drain Remaining Water
1. Depressurize the hose before removing OtO as it will prevent accidental water discharge and hose damage while making the removal easier. To safely depressurize a hose, follow these steps:
- Turn off the faucet / spigot completely.
- In the OtO Lawn app, select any zone and choose Water Manually.
- Once OtO wakes up and drains the remaining water, stop the watering event.
2. Detach the hose from the device.
4. Tilt the device with the water inlet facing down, gently let the device drain completely of water.
Step 2 - Charge OtO
- Using the provided power cable, plug in OtO and charge it until the battery is nearly full.
Step 3 - Enable Winter Mode on OtO
- Once OtO is completely charged, within the OtO Lawn app, go to the Device Details Page.
- Click on the settings symbol on the top-right corner.
- Select Enable Winter Mode. A new window will open and you can tap Confirm to proceed.
- Once successful, you will see on your overview page that Winter Mode has been activated for the device.
Step 3 - Put Away OtO
If there is leftover solution in the bottle:
- If you still have the cap, remove the solution from OtO and recap the bottle. Keep it somewhere safe and indoors for the winter.
- If you have thrown away the cap, leave the solution inside the device and securely capped, but keep the bottles UPRIGHT or the solution will leak.
- Store indoors in an area that does not get colder than 41°F (5°C).
Can I leave my device outside for the winter?
Freezing temperatures can severely damage the battery and internal components, not to mention void the warranty. We do not recommend leaving your device outside if temperatures are expected to drop below freezing.
If you're still having issues, we're here to help! So we can assist you faster, submit a ticket through the app (Main menu > Report an Issue). Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A friendly Customer Care agent will be happy to assist you there!