If you're in a region where temperatures drop below 41°F (5°C) in the winter months, you must store the OtO device indoors to prevent it from being damaged.
In order to preserve the battery, you should put OtO in Winter Mode by following the directions below.
NOTE: The OtO Lawn App will alert you to put OtO in winter mode if the weather is expected to drop below 32°F (0°C) within the next 7 days.
These steps could also be used any time you want to put OtO away for a long period of time.
How to Safely Put Away OtO for Winter
Step 1 - Drain Remaining Water
- Turn off the faucet / spigot completely.
- In the OtO Lawn app, select any zone and choose Water Manually.
- Once OtO wakes up and drains the remaining water, stop the watering event.
- Detach the hose from the device.
- Remove the device from the mounting bracket.
- Tilt the device with the water inlet facing down, gently let the device drain completely of water.
Step 2 - Charge OtO completely (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Using the provided power cable, plug in OtO and charge it until the battery is Full.
Step 3 - Enable Winter Mode on OtO
- Once OtO is completely charged, within the OtO Lawn app, go to the Overview Page OR the Device Details Page.
- Click on the settings symbol on the top-right corner.
- Select Enable Winter Mode. A new window will open and you can tap Confirm to proceed.
- Once successful, you will see on your overview page that Winter Mode has been activated for the device.
Step 3 - Put Away OtO
- If there is leftover solution in the bottle: If you still have the cap, recap the bottle and keep it somewhere safe and above freezing for the winter. If you have thrown away the cap, leave the solution inside the device and securely capped, but do not turn OtO on it's side or the solution will leak.
- Store indoors in an area that does not get colder than 41°F (5°C).
Spring Awakening: How to take your OtO out of Winter Mode
- Even if your device was in winter mode, it's a good idea to plug it in for a short period of time using the provided power cable.
- Open the OtO Lawn app and go to the device overview page.
- Press Toggle Winter Mode to turn it off.
- Turn the switch (or press the button, depending on your version) on the device to wake OtO back up.
- Reinstall OtO in the same place it was positioned last summer. It will remember all your zones and settings, however you may want to check your zone points in case your water pressure has changed from last year.
Can I leave my device outside for the winter?
Freezing temperatures can severely damage the battery and internal components, not to mention void the warranty. We do not recommend leaving your device outside if temperatures are expected to drop below freezing.
Don't hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any difficulties using Winter Mode.