This article contains everything you need to learn about our flagship fertilizer, Lawn Food + Molasses.
What is Lawn Food + Molasses?
Our Lawn Food+ is a versatile liquid organic fertilizer that works well in any grass region and promotes a healthy, lush green lawn without the hassle.
Like a multi-vitamin for your grass, using the right fertilizer helps keep your lawn looking healthy from the inside out, meaning it develops healthy roots and leaves, keeping it resistant against weeds and insects, ultimately making your grass look lusher and greener.
- Pet- and people-safe, which means it's made from natural ingredients like distillers grains and soy
- Plant-based, so no smelly manure or biosolids
- No added Phosphorus, so it meets municipal regulations meant to protect ground water and wells
- Organic and slow-release, making it less likely to cause fertilizer burns
Why add Molasses?
Our unique Lawn Food formula with Molasses added has several additional benefits as it:
- Contains macronutrients in a plant-available form - the plant doesn't have to expend energy to convert the nutrients into a form that the plant can use, therefore more efficient than synthetic fertilizers
- Contains many micronutrients that are vital for plant growth including calcium, sulfur, magnesium and iron
- Is a carbon source - acting as a great food source for soil microbes (particularly bacteria)
- Molasses is also a natural chelator, and so will improve the uptake of the Lawn Food fertilizer itself
How it Works
Scan the QR code on the solution bottle using the OtO Lawn App and choose which zones you’d like to assign the fertilizer. You do not have to assign the fertilizer to every zone.
- The OtO device will apply the solution in small doses on a regular schedule
- You will be able to see the application schedule underneath your zone's watering schedule
- OtO will send a push notification to your phone when it is applying solution, so you know when it is watering versus applying solution
- With regular use, each bottle lasts 2 months
Scheduling Best Practices
The default application schedule for Lawn Food is 1x per week and is paired to your watering schedule. This means OtO will only apply this solution on days that you are already watering. In most cases, this will be the optimal schedule to apply the solution.
If you need to make changes to the schedule or application rate, keep the following in mind:
- If desired, you can separate the Solution Schedule from the Watering Schedule, meaning you may apply solution on days that you do not water. Generally, we do not recommend separating the solution schedule from the watering schedule as it is preferable to water before applying fertilizer.
- Apply as needed throughout the growing season. Our fertilizer is made for every region, but it shouldn't be applied to grass when it is dormant.
- Avoid feeding during the hottest hours of the day (usually between 11am and 4pm). Early morning or evening when things cool down is the sweet spot.
- Don't apply during or just before heavy rain. You want the product to dry on the leaf so it can be absorbed by the stomata. Activate the 'Rain Skip' feature so OtO cancels application events when it rains!
How many bottles do I need?
Each bottle lasts 2 months and 1 bottle is needed per OtO device. Therefore each customer uses about 3 bottles per growing season (between March - October).
How do I purchase more bottles?
Can I buy individual bottles without subscribing?
Subscribing is convenient because you only receive up to 3 bottles per growing season (it's all you need). No manual pausing in the winter and you can cancel at any time if you're unsatisfied. Plus, the first bottle in your subscription is always free!
At this time, it is not possible to buy individual non-subscription bottles.
Can I just apply fertilizer on demand?
You can also apply the fertilizer on demand if you desire. In the app, simply use the "Apply Now" button on the Zone Page.
Can I use Lawn Food on flowers, vegetables, fruit trees, etc.?
Yes, Lawn Food + Molasses can also be used on other plants such as flower gardens and edibles (veggies, fruits). As a best practice however, we do recommend only using our fertilizer on edibles before and after growth.
Can I use Lawn Food on newly seeded grass?
It's best to avoid using fertilizer for the first few weeks after seeding and stick with watering your lawn regularly to keep the soil moist. This will provide the seedlings with the essential moisture they need to establish strong roots and start growing. Here's an article about how you can use OtO for newly seeded lawns!
Can I program OtO to fertilize multiple times per week?
No, in order to avoid overapplication (which can lead to fertilizer burn), OtO can only fertilize a zone once per week automatically. If you feel your plants need more application, the current workaround is to use the "Apply Now" button in the zone detail page.
Can my solution application events be skipped due to weather?
Yes, if you have Weather Intelligence enabled in a particular zone, this means your solution application events can get skipped due to rain or high winds. If you want to disable this feature, you can either disable weather intelligence in that zone, or you can separate the solution application schedule from the watering schedule.
How do I know if I am applying enough fertilizer?
Keep an eye on the color of your turf. If the grass starts looking like a pale green, this is usually a sign that it might be lacking nitrogen. Similarly, if you aren't in need to mow the grass once a week and the lawn is not under drought stress, this is likely an indicator that the plant growth is slowing down.
If you've applied too much, you may experience tip burn, however fear not as this can simply be mowed off.
Does the Lawn Food solution expire?
Yes, once opened, the solution should be used within 1 year.
If left unopened, the solution should be stored in a cool and shady location; it should be shelf-stable for 2 years.
Is there a waiting time after applying Lawn Food+?
No, Lawn Food+ is an organic fertilizer made from safe and natural ingredients, meaning there is no wait time for pets or people after an application.
1x per week
Allowable days (The days that OtO is allowed to attempt to apply the solution, weather pending)
|Bottle Size||26 fl oz. (768 mL)|
|Requires Manual Confirmation||No|
|Ideal Application Location||
Lawn/turf, but can be applied to any plant (suggested only using before and after growth for edibles)
Suitable for all grass regions
|Best Time to Apply||
Early morning, dawn or dusk
Can be applied throughout growing season. Consider increasing frequency of applications in the spring and fall.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Do not apply near water, storm drains, or drainage ditches. Sweep any product that lands outside the lawn area back onto your lawn.
Refer to the label for full details.
Water, Distilled Water, Deionized Water, Xanthan Gum, Red Cabbage Extract, Soybean Flower, Corn Gluten Meal, Sunflower Seed Hull Ash