There are a few factors to consider when deciding on where to install your OtO smart sprinkler device.
Setting up the device in a good place will prevent most issues in the future.
Not sure how big your lawn is? Use our handy lawn visualization tool to find your ideal setup.
The OtO smart device can spray a radius of approximately 30 feet at a minimum flow rate of 6.3 GPM (gallons per minute). Within this radius you can set up to 10 uniquely shaped zones.
- Each unit can cover up to 2,800 sqft in 360 degrees.
- Because of the water arc, OtO has a minimum spraying distance of 2 feet from the nozzle.
- Installing higher up than the recommended 3 - 4 feet will not necessarily result in a wider coverage area and will result in diminished returns due to the water spray being dispersed.
OtO uses the internet to communicate with the mobile app and set weather-adjusted schedules.
- OtO is only compatible with 2.45GHz. It will not work with 5GHz networks.
- Make sure to pick a place within range of your network. Thick or insulated walls can greatly reduce Wi-Fi signal strength even if your router is close by.
- Test the Wi-Fi strength with the app before you mount and connect your device.
⬆️ Install up high or on the ground
OtO comes with a unique mounting bracket that allows you to install the device into the ground, or drilled into a fence or the side of your house for better solar access and unobstructed spraying to your lawn.
- All wood installation accessories are included. Masonry installation not included.
- We do not recommend mounting higher than 4-5 feet from the ground due to diminishing returns on the water stream.
- If you are having trouble keeping OtO upright in loose soil, consider drilling the bracket to a 4x4 and burying it in the ground.
- On-board solar panel requires a minimum of 3 hours per day of direct, unobstructed sunlight. Any clouds or shadows prevent the panel from charging.
- If your device’s location does not receive enough sunlight, the provided cable and wall adapter can be used either permanently or as a power boost when needed.
- You may find you will need to relocate the device slightly in the winter versus the summer.
- Later this year (2021), we will be offering an auxiliary solar panel accessory.
- The shorter and bigger (higher ID) the hose, the better. This will reduce pressure drop and allow your OtO to spray as far as possible. We recommend a hose with an ID of at least 5/8" and a max length of 50 feet.
- If you are located in a very hot location and the hose will be exposed to the sun, we highly recommend choosing a hot water or stainless steel hose. DO NOT leave your pressurized hose exposed to the sun.
- When planning your hose path, avoid making tight turns or bends.
- If you are using multiple units, recommend a maximum of two units per spigot.
Read more about hose recommendations.
For any additional questions about installation or placement, don't hesitate to reach out to us through the app or at email@example.com.