Wi-Fi Setup Best Practices
- OtO will only work on 2.4 GHz frequency.
- Test the Wi-Fi strength with the app before you mount and connect your device to water. The Wi-Fi signal strength that your phone gets could be different from what OtO will receives.
- Make sure to pick a place within range of your network. Thick or insulated walls can greatly reduce Wi-Fi signal strength even if your router is close by.
- Connect to the nearest access point (router or extender). Try different access points if you're experiencing low signal.
Wi-Fi Troubleshooting Checklist
If you are having issues with Wi-Fi or are in the middle of setting up your smart device for the first time, try these steps in order:
- Ensure your router is powered on and is broadcasting on a 2.4 GHz network. If you have a dual-band router, make sure to connect to the 2.4 GHz band—not the 5 GHz band.
- If you are using an iPhone: Ensure your phone is also connected to the network you want OtO to be connected to. If your phone is not connected to the Wi-Fi network, it will not show up in the list of available networks.
- Turn the switch / press the button to wake OtO. If the LED light does not indicate any color, your battery is dead and you will need to recharge in order to connect to Wi-Fi.
- Double check your app permissions. In order for OtO to function properly, both "Nearby devices permission" and "Location" with "Precise location" enabled should be allowed. To change these settings, tap-hold on the app icon in your phone. This should give you the option to view App Settings > App permissions.
- Turn on Location Services on your phone. If location services are turned off, no Wi-Fi networks will appear in the Send Wi-Fi Credentials screen, and you may not be able to change your Wi-Fi network. Learn how to turn on location services here.
- Try restarting your router. Most routers just need to be unplugged and plugged back in to restart them, it might not be a bad idea to consult your router's documentation for specific instructions. Once your router finishes restarting, test it by connecting to your Wi-Fi network with a laptop or a mobile device.
- If your OtO device was already connected previously, check the signal strength on the OtO app by going into the Devices Menu. A low signal strength at "Not Good" or lower could account for connection issues.
- Try bringing your OtO in and placing it directly beside the router. If you're able to connect to your home network (signal strength shows 'Very Good' in the OtO app) when the device is directly beside the router, this indicates you have an issue with the strength and range of your Wi-Fi router.
- If the above steps do not work, try hotspotting with a different phone to the phone with the OtO app. If you are able to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, this could mean your Wi-Fi signal is not strong enough or there is some kind of browser incompatibility. Email us at email@example.com for more assistance.
Troubleshooting Low Wi-Fi Signal
If your Wi-Fi signal strength is low, consider moving the router closer to the OtO (if possible) or looking into a Wi-Fi range extender or mesh to provide a stronger signal.
You may also want to check for any wireless interference that could be interrupting the router's communication with the device. Often the placement of your device in relation to your router can contribute to connectivity issues. Materials in your home can interfere with the connection between your router and your controller, resulting in intermittent connectivity or unexpected disconnections.
If there are any materials that could be causing interference, you may want to consider moving your router to a new location. Sometimes even moving the router to a different location in the same room will help.
"Apply Now" Not Working
If you are using the "apply now" command and your device is not responding or you have to wait longer than 5 minutes for it to respond, it is unable to connect to Wi-Fi. Consider the steps above in order to improve your Wi-Fi connectivity.
How can I tell if my OtO has intermittent connectivity?
You can tell the device is experiencing connectivity problems if the device displays "offline" in the app AND the LED status light blinks any color when you turn the switch (or press the button, depending on your hardware version). You will also receive a notification indicating that OtO is offline.
NOTE: If the LED light does not respond after you press the button, the battery is dead.
Can't see any Wi-fi networks in my list in the OtO app.
If you cannot see any Wi-Fi networks listed in the OtO app:
1. Double check your app permissions. In order for OtO to function properly, both "Nearby devices permission" and "Location" - with "Precise location" enabled - must be allowed.
To change these settings, tap-hold on the app icon in your phone. This should give you the option to view App Settings > App permissions.
2. You must also have Location Services enabled on your phone.
If you are using an iPhone: Ensure your phone is ALSO connected to the Wi-fi you want OtO to connect with. If it is not connected, it will not show up in the list.